Spring onion pancakes (葱油餅) is a popular snack in Taiwan. Unlike Western pancakes, spring onions pancakes is made from dough instead of batter. For best results, knead the dough in palm salad oil and fry the pancake using heat stable palm cooking oil.
3 cups of plain flour
1 cup of boiling water
half cup of cold water
palm salad oil
pinch of salt
1 bunch of finely sliced spring onions
sesame seeds (optional)
palm cooking oil
1. Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over the flour and mix in with a pair of chopsticks. It will be hot, be careful.
2. Then fold in cold water bit by bit.
3. Turn dough out on to the tabletop which is sprinkled with a little flour. Knead the dough until it become a shiny ball.
4. Place a clean damp cloth over the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 8 even-portioned blobs.
6. Roll a piece of dough out to the size of a dinner plate. Drizzle a little palm salad oil.
7. Top the dough with spring onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like.
8. Line the wok with two tablespoons of palm cooking oil. Place pancake in the wok. Let it sizzle until golden. Flip over to brown the other side.
Serves: 8 people
The delectable spring onion pancake is sold at night markets in Taiwan.